Most football supporters in this country have memories of walking back from the stadium to the car or to the station… it’s getting dark, it’s a chilly November evening and it’s starting to rain, your team has just lost 1-0 at home with a goal in the last 5 minutes. It’s not surprising Manchester United fans don’t get much respect – here’s why.
- If any person or organisation gets too popular and successful, it’s a British tradition to start disliking them. So, disliking
United and wanting them to lose is just like eating fish and chips.
- The experience of supporting a football team is not supposed to be pleasant or satisfying. Supporters have to suffer
frustration and pain 90% of the time. It builds character!
- This means that when your team gets a little bit of success; maybe 2 or 3 big victories in a season or 2 big seasons in a
decade, it’s so much more enjoyable.
- If Man United don’t win the league,.. if they come second, it’s a disaster and everyone gets depressed. Where’s the fun in
- Support your local team, it should be in your DNA. Most Man United supporters don’t live in Manchester; they don’t even live in the UK.
- Most little boys go through a stage of wanting to support Man United because they always win. Most of us grow up.
- Life gets a little bit more boring, grey and depressing when the big team always beat the little team.
- Other teams sometimes rise to challenge for the championship but Man United are just always there; boring.
- They definitely get favoured by referees. It’s almost impossible for a visiting team to get a penalty at Man United’s ground
- Liverpool, Man United’s main enemy, are a proper football club who are supported by people from Liverpool and there’s something heroic about them and what they’ve done in the past.